Washington Center Scholarship | WCS
Important Note: The following information is intended as a general overview of the program for those applying, or who are considering applying, for the scholarship and is not intended to be a comprehensive compilation of program requirements. For complete information, please refer to the program’s rules and regulations.
A program that awards scholarships of up to $6000 to Arkansas students who are accepted to The Washington Center for Internships and Academic Seminars located in Washington, D.C. For more information, visit the website for the Washington Center.
Eligibility of Arkansas applicants to The Washington Center Scholarship program is conditioned upon admission to The Washington Center. In order for one to be enrolled at TWC, the institution requires that all applicants:
- be enrolled in an accredited college or university as a second semester sophomore or above;
- maintain a grade point average of at least 2.75 on a 4.0 scale;
- receive academic credit from the student’s college or university for participation in the internship program; and,
- receive the endorsement of the student’s campus liaison or faculty sponsor.
Additionally, the State of Arkansas requires, per Act 1046 of 2007, that all Arkansas applicants meet the following:
- be an Arkansas resident and US citizen or permanent resident alien;
- be enrolled in an eligible Arkansas institution that will grant academic credit for participation in The Washington Center Internship Program located in Washington D.C.;
- meet The Washington Center admission requirements; and,
- be enrolled in a program of study, which leads to or is creditable towards a baccalaureate degree. (These programs include baccalaureate degree programs and associate degree programs.)
- ADHE does not administer the applications for both of these scholarship, ADHE only pays amounts requested by the agencies.
- Applicants apply through their website and recipients are chosen by agencies. ADHE receives invoice and creates paper warrants for a paper check to be mailed.
General InformationThe Washington Center Scholarship Program is a program that awards scholarships of up to $6,000 to Arkansas students who are accepted to The Washington Center for Internships and Academic Seminars located in Washington, D.C. The Washington Center (TWC) is an independent nonprofit organization serving hundreds of colleges and universities by providing selected students challenging opportunities to work and learn in Washington, D.C. TWC serves Arkansas students and society as a whole by encouraging participants to be informed, public-spirited and civically engaged for life. The institution’s academic experience is made up of three components: the internship, academic coursework, and the leadership forum. Students are placed, according to their interests, in supervised internships in governmental, international, for-profit or nonprofit organizations.
The Washington Center will select the students that are eligible to participate in the internship program for each applicable academic period. Of those selected students, ADHE will determine the number of students to be awarded the scholarship based on the amount of funds available. In the event there are more eligible applicants than funds available, awards will be determined on a first-come, first-serve basis. Those not awarded will be given priority for participation in a subsequent term. The amount of the reward for each recipient will be up to $6,000 for one-time participation in The Washington Center internship program.
Rules and Regulations APPLY NOW