Teacher Opportunity Program | TOP
Important Note: The following information is intended as a general overview of the program for those applying, or who are considering applying, for the scholarship and is not intended to be a comprehensive compilation of program requirements. For complete information, please refer to the program’s rules and regulations.
Disclaimer: The laws, rules, regulations, award amounts, amount of awardees, eligibility criteria, funding per program, etc., are subject to change at any point prior to, during, or after application through the YOUniversal application. These changes will be based on changes in law or funding provided by the Arkansas General Assembly. It is understood that ADHE is not at fault for any changes that occur to any financial aid program. In addition, awards for all ADHE programs are limited by the availability of funds.
The Teacher Opportunity Program (TOP) offers tuition reimbursement grants to Arkansas teachers and administrators. Teachers and administrators may apply for reimbursement of out-of-pocket expenses paid for up to six (6) college credit hours completed for each academic year, not to exceed $3000.
- October 1, 2021 - TOP application opens - apply through your ADHE YOUniversal account at https://sams.adhe.edu/
- June 1, 2022 - Priority deadline - all documentation must be postmarked by June 1, 2022
- July 1, 2022 - Final deadline to apply
- July 15, 2022 - All documentation must be postmarked by July 15, 2022
- Requirements: Employed as Classroom Teacher/Administrator in Arkansas; Maintain Current Teacher/Administrator Arkansas License
- Documents Required: College Transcript; Itemized Statement, Copy of Paid Receipt for Semester(s) you are Seeking Reimbursement, and Copy of Syllabus if Seeking Reimbursement for Books
- Award Amount: Up to $3,000 per year. Funds are disbursed directly to the applicant.
Scholarship Deadline to Apply
- College transcript for the semester(s) you are seeking reimbursement
- Itemized statement of charges for semester(s) you are seeking reimbursement
- Copy of your paid receipt for the semester(s) you are seeking reimbursement
- Copy of your syllabus if you are seeking reimbursement for books
Basic Eligibility Criteria
An applicant must:
- Be a bona fide Arkansas resident 12 months prior to the application deadline
- Be a citizen of the United States of permanent resident alien
- Have and maintain a current teacher and/or administrator license with the Arkansas Department of Education
- Be employed as a classroom teacher or administrator in Arkansas and declare intention to continue such employment in Arkansas
- Be enrolled in an approved institution of higher education in Arkansas
- Be enrolled in a college level course(s) directly related to employment
- Have at least a 2.5 cumulative GPA in the course(s) funded by the TOP Reimbursement Grant during the application period
- Provide a college transcript for the semester(s) they are seeking reimbursement
- Provide an itemized statement of charges for semester(s) they are seeking reimbursement
- Provide a copy of the paid receipt for the semester(s) they are seeking reimbursement
- Provide a copy of syllabus if seeking reimbursement for books
Continuing Eligibility Criteria
- Recipients must reapply and meet all eligibility requirements each year
o Reimbursement of out-of-pocket expenses paid for up to 6 college credit hours completed for each academic year, not to exceed $3,000
- The amount awarded will be based on the tuition, mandatory fees, books, and required supplies paid by the applicant for six (6) college credit hours completed. Reimbursable fees are those required of all students. Costs such as graduation fees, late fees, car registration fees, and mileage are not reimbursable. Grants may not exceed the cost of the Arkansas public institution assessing the highest rate of tuition and mandatory fees or $3000, whichever is less. If necessary, teachers taking courses in science, technology, engineering, mathematics, computer science, literacy or reading, prekindergarten education, or special education will be given priority when awards are made.